Long-time listeners already know how we feel about the Walter Mitty remake (if you don’t, check episode 50) but the original SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY, starring Danny Kaye - the John Travolta of The 40s - is a completely different beast. It’s such a weird, contrived “star vehicle”, Alex and Julio needed the help of Ryan and Bartek, from the SPIT & POLISH podcast to analyze it properly! Listen as we find it easy to resist Kaye’s charms and struggle to endure the random fantasy sequences. And all while Ryan humble-brags about his knowledge of classic cinema!
00:00:00 - 00:57:08 Contrarians Corner (#CC)
00:57:09 - 00:58:02 The Danny Kaye Variety Hour
00:58:03 - 01:48:17 Real Talk
01:48:18 - 01:54:46 Plugs and bye-byes
- Alex watched BURN AFTER READING. It was as good as he expected.
- Julio cautiously recommends IT: CHAPTER TWO - but only if you enjoyed CHAPTER ONE.
- Check out Ryan and Bartek’s own show, SPIT & POLISH! See what they’re like when they’re NOT behaving!
- As usual during this time of the year, it’s time to start getting ready for the OTHER WORLDS AUSTIN SCI-FI FILM FESTIVAL! If you can be in Austin on December 5-8, you should get a badge and meet Alex and Julio over there!
- Hans Rothgiesser, the man behind our logo, can be reached at @mildemonios on Twitter or you can email him at email@example.com in case you ever need a logo (or comics) produced. And you can listen to him talk about Peruvian politics on his own podcast, NACION COMBI. Aaaaand you can also check out all the stuff he’s written on his own website. Don’t know Spanish? He also did a podcast in English called LIVING IN PERU, about immigrants in - where else - Perú.
Up next, we hit another original, although a more contemporary one: the French comedy THE INTOUCHABLES! Until then, let us know how you feel about the original Walter Mitty! Is Danny Kaye a bonafide star or was he just trying too hard? Does Virginia Mayo actually justify all her screen time? What’s up with “Tapaka-tapaka-tapaka”? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet at us or facebook us and share your thoughts!